First thing you need is a dad that knows Things...
 and then do a little research.
 Wear some glasses and measure some stuff.
 Draw the outline.
 Make a template.
 Tool up.
 Find some wood. These are Mahogany floor boards from a house that was being demolished around the corner.
 Spend ages making them thin enough (1.2mm is optimum.)
 A really long time.
 Unless you cheat.
 Cut the shape with a bandsaw.
 Bend the wood into shape. This was the tricky bit, we tried all sorts of way of softening up the wood, from boiling it, to steaming it, to microwaving it. In the end we used a sawn-off section of catamaran mast and blowtorch to heat it up to about 300c.
 We used a water spray to keep the wood from burning. The oval shape of the mast was pretty good for getting the different curves of the Uke.
 Rig to keep the wood in shape while it cooled down.
 Reinforcing the back.
 Mum checks on progress.
 The stem.
 Gripping stuff. (dad joke)
 The bits ready to be stuck together. 
 I’m not actually sure what we used the lathe for, but it made sense at the time.
 This is called ‘purfling’ which is a narrow decorative edge inlay. Usually mother of pearl or abalone, but in this case we used the reverse side of a CD. I want it to be ‘Now That’s What I Call Ukuleling’ but I’m pretty sure it was just a blank data disc. We must have used the lathe for the inlay, a router would have been too crude.
 Staining the wood with linseed oil (smells amazing).
 This is a Japanese saw, which differs from western saws because you pull it rather that push it. This means the teeth can be much much narrower than on western saws because when you pull the saw it automatically straightens the blade. Because you push western saws the blade has to be thicker to stop it buckling. Anyway this was perfect for cutting the tiny grooves for the fret inlay.
 Just needs stringing. Violin strings work pretty well, and tuned to the bottom 4 strings of a guitar, but in this order: GCEA.
 And we’re done.
 First song: Sweet child o’ mine.
prev / next